Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dungeon World Under the Microscope

Our weekly Pathfinder-to-Dungeon World game continues apace, but that is not enough! I must have more Dungeon World! That feeling started back in July, when I was just starting to get into DW and was looking for ways to cram more play into my life. In my constant daydreaming about DW, it occurred to me that it might be cool to play a game of Ben Robbins' Microscopewhich I had been wanting to try after backing the kickstarter campaign for his next game, Kingdomand use the resulting world as a setting for a Dungeon World campaign. I came up with the idea independently, but of course it turned out I was by no means the first person to do so.

So I knew that I wanted to experiment with combining the two games, but I don't have enough free time each week to fold a second multi-hour rpg session into my life, so I decided to run it as a "play-by-forum" game at brokenforum, one of the handful of gaming boards I frequent. In a play-by-forum game, you don't have to adhere to a tight schedule (we've averaged a post roughly once a day per participant since we began), and players can check in when they have a spare moment here or there. It was open invite, and I capped it at four players. Once we had our group, I started a thread for the Microscope game, and about two months later we had our setting. You can read the original thread here, or just skip to the summary via the Google doc I set up to record our history. As we went along, I started to pull together a Pinterest board of visual reference so we would have a foundation upon which to build our common understanding of the world.

After we had a rough outline of our world's history, we chose a period in which our game would be set. I threw together a list of potential classes, and each player chose one to play. The idea was to have the race and class options evolve out of our setting, and then adapt them to Dungeon World, customizing as we went. DW is eminently flexible, as the profusion of hacks and mods for the system can attest, so with a little tinkering we were up and ready to run. We ended up with four characters who ran the gamut of customization levels, from a Telani Preserver who hews pretty close to the stock DW Druid, to a Wik Deadspeaker, a class we created pretty much from scratch. All of the resulting character sheets are viewable here.

I had it in my head when I started the game that I would make character portraits for the players as a way to get them further invested in the game, and as a little reward for taking the time to indulge in the experiment. So before we could start play I needed to whip those up. I've enjoyed drawing rpg character portraits since the 80s, when I would often spend more time developing a campaign than my high school buddies and I would spend playing, so it was fun for me to do, especially as a way to take a break from the sort of drawing I do for the comic book that comprises one of my day jobs.

So here are the four characters, as developed from scratch to final colored portraits:

Kalil Ru'Hana, Wik Deadspeaker


Tek'Utl, Telani Preserver

Saul Odelo, Archivist Finder

Amulus, Searcher Scout

We started playing the game proper last week, and it's been a lot of fun so far. Two great things I've discovered about GMing a PbF game are that I can post images to supplement the story if I feel like it; and I have more time to consider how the story is going to unfold. What a PbF game lacks in terms of excitement and off-the-cuff improvisation, it makes up for by allowing you the time to think things through. And that leads to a different kind of story, less theatrical and more like a book being read one page at a time.

If you're curious about how the adventures of these four intrepid souls will play out, you can follow the thread here.


2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Chris, Keny and I were actually just talking about trying to get a game of Microscope going with you to try to build out our world for our Galactic Summoner Wars game (title still in progress).

    Anyway, your art looks awesome and this game is going to be really interesting to follow!

    - Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. interactive led flat panel

    Adopt full aluminium alloy panel structure, anodized surface process, ultra-narrow frame, rounded corner design, fashion and beautiful appearance
    4mm tempered glass with anti glare 3.Advanced IR 20 touching technology.
    The OPS host module adopts plug structure design, internal Inter standard 80pin interface, without any external power line and signal line, which is convenient for
    inspection, maintenance and upgrade, and achieves the aesthetic effect of the machine

    url- https://www.gladwingroup.com/video-conferencing-solutions *** [url=https://www.gladwingroup.com/video-conferencing-solutions] video confrencing solutions[/url]

    video-conferencing solutions is particularly convenient for business users in different cities or even different countries because it saves time, expenses, and hassles associated with business travel. Uses for video conferencing include holding routine meetings, negotiating business deals, and interviewing job candidates.

    Video Conferencing Solutions

    Video conferencing Solutions is live, visual connection between two or more remote parties over the internet that simulates a
    face-to-face meeting. Video conferencing is important because it joins people who would not normally be
    able to form a face-to-face connection.At its simplest, video conferencing Solutions provides transmission of static
    images and text between two locations. At its most sophisticated, it provides transmission of full-motion video images
    and high-quality audio between multiple locations.

    ReplyDelete